- Wooden hammer
- Spray primer
- Spray paint for the base color
- Spray clear coat
- Acrylic paint in various
colors of your choice
- Plastic wrap
- Painter’s tape
- Foam brush
- Remove any labels or price tags from the hammer. Use a product such as Goo-gone to remove any leftover residue.
- Rub sandpaper lightly over the entire wooden handle so that the primer adheres well.
- Cover the metallic head of the hammer with plastic wrap and painter’s tape so it will not be covered in paint.
- Spray primer over the entire wooden handle and allow to dry.
- Spray the wooden handle with a base color and allow to dry.
- Find several willing children (we had 3) and paint their hand with their favorite color of acrylic paint. Have the child carefully grasp the handle so they leave their fingerprints and palm print. You can do this at different times if you’d like it to dry in between.
- Once the acrylic paint has dried, spray the entire wooden handle with Clearcoat.
- Remove plastic wrap and painter’s tape.
Tip–If you balance the hammer on its head, you can spray paint the entire thing without having to turn it over.